Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Sun Beams

Today at church Weston and I were able to substitute as the Sun Beam teacher.  The lesson prep was mostly done by the normal teacher so I just read over the lesson and, I confess, figured it would be a cinch.

It wasn't exactly a cinch, but
you're probably picturing 3-4 year olds, in large quantities, bouncing off the walls, chairs, and perhaps almost the ceiling.  This was not the problem.  They were the 5 most reverent 3-4 year olds I've ever met!  I was very impressed.

The lesson was on examples so we did a lot of "do as I'm doing", "simon says", and "follow the leader".  We also sang "I'm trying to be like Jesus" and "Jesus said love everyone".   I layed out some footprints and they took turns being the leader and "following Jesus". 

We got through the lesson in about 15 minutes, then we had about 20 more to go...

S0 we colored our footprints for a while and I tried to make friends with them.  I think they were a bit distracted worrying that Lily Anne was going to steal their footprints, which was quite reasonable.  After a few futile attempts I was able to strike a cord.  "What are you going to be for Halloween?"

      A PRINCESS! SPIDERMAN! ARIEL! A DLFIHNWE! (sadly, I never could understand what this little guy was going to be...) A NINJA!  (these answers were all said at once, so I had to sort through them individually :)


Having figured that out, we, of course, ended with "turtle races" (a new one to me, but an extra shy boy in our class got up the courage to request it, so how could I say no?) and "red light green light"  I couldn't quite figure out how those fit into the lesson, but we had a great time.

I'm excited to see them at our ward trunk or treat on the 30th!

No comments:

Post a Comment